🚨 Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Update: 17 sep 2020
We’re excited to launch the Virtual PARAS’10 Colchester 2020 – More details about this virtual event.
Update: 14 Sep 2020
With deep regret, we must announce the cancellation of the rearranged Colchester PARAS’10 planned for 7 November. This is why:
- Rising concern about Covid spikes this autumn has changed the game.
- We have 876 of you registered already. PARAS’10 is more than a race, it is a ‘family reunion’- effectively a social gathering. With the new Government legal ‘Rule of Six’ effective today, we do not see how we can make this work
- Before today, we had investigated pods of 30 people, in distanced grids, brought to the start at time intervals, setting off at distanced intervals and taking part in a chipped time-trial, not a race. It’s not PARAS’10 as we know it, Jim, but it would have been a chance. The Rule of Six now makes this unfeasible.
- We are not a local event like parkrun where you run 5kms and walk home. We are a national event with entrants travelling from all over the UK and Europe. You need to make plans but there is not enough certainty to do so.
- We have to satisfy guidance from local council, MoD, blue light services etc Under the new law we are unable to do this. There would be a strong medical risk in a testing mass endurance event like PARAS’10.
- Finally, we normally have 150+ Parachute Regiment soldiers who volunteer their weekend to prepare, set-up, organise, marshal and clear away our event. With the added need for temperature-taking, management of distancing etc, we would need many more. Since Covid began, operational and training deployments have been hugely disrupted. Our troops are now tasked to recover that lost time to maintain their role as spearhead of the British Army. They cannot be diverted to secondary tasks, however much we love the PARAS’10.
We are gutted that this has happened. We maintain our guarantee to you that your place will be rolled over to Colchester next year, scheduled for Saturday 15 May – or Catterick Saturday 4 Sept, if you wish. We will make these days as special as possible.
400+ of you enjoyed Virtual Catterick. We don’t want your training for Colchester to be wasted, so we are working on a Virtual Colchester, this time done as Virtual Teams of 4. They can be family, friends, people you know on facebook, workmates – you don’t run together but your times are aggregated. Elevation will be relaxed as Colchester is flatter. And there will be a Colchester 2020 medal for you.
Update: 18 Aug 2020
Virtual PARAS’10 Catterick 2020
Finally, it’s here. We’re missing you at PARAS’10, but we’re determined not to let COVID-19 beat us so we’re excited to launch the Virtual PARAS’10 Catterick 2020. Entry is FREE although we would love any donations you can make when registering.
More details about this virtual event
Update: 15 Jun 2020
Sadly, and with our hearts heavier than a 35lb bergen, we have to cancel PARAS’10 Catterick. You may have seen this morning that the Great North Run cancelled its event to be held a week after ours. All discussions with the Army and local authorities tell us that 5 Sept is just not feasible under COVID. The choice is no longer ours.
All entrants will get a free transfer to another event, this year or next. We are actively investigating a Virtual PARAS’10 on 5 Sept for those keen to get the miles done. Keep up your training, as it will be good for your physical and mental health. More news when we have it.
We are also looking at what extra we can do to ensure that Colchester happens on 7 Nov, including possibly moving the course – a new challenge for you.
Please stand by us and we will stand by you, and keep PARAS’10 going for you, somehow, some way.
View the letter sent to all entrants
Update: 05 Jun 2020
Today 5 June is 3 months out from Catterick 5 Sept. It’s fair to give you an update so you can decide your own plans. You all know what’s going on in the world. There is still much uncertainty around Mass race events – we are watching like hawks.
We have sent this letter out to all those have entered Catterick, but this is for all of you in our PARAS’10 community. If you were thinking of entering Catterick, hold off for more certainty- there will be plenty of time to enter when we know for sure. Next update will be 15 June.
Update: 18 Mar 2020
Colchester event postponed until Sat 07 Nov 2020
Sadly we must bow to the inevitable – last straw was withdrawal of Emergency Services to events and we cannot risk your safety. But this will not beat us. With kind consent of CO 3 PARA (from Kenya) we WILL have a PARAS’10 Colchester on Sat 07 Nov 2020. This will be Remembrance weekend so very emotional and appropriate for what we do as a charity.